| Weigh mice
||Assess body composition
||Lean mass and fat mass
||Measure forced endurance
||Endurance (distance traveled)
- Whole body MRI (EchoMRI 3-in-1 Body Composition Analyzer, EchoMRI, Houston TX)
- Treadmill (Exer-3/6 Treadmill, Columbus Instruments, Columbus OH)
Procedure: Body weight and body composition
- Mice are weighed prior to MRI.
- Body composition is assessed using whole body MRI between 0700 and 1200h.
- Fat mass and lean mass percentages are calculated relative to body weight.
Procedure: Forced endurance
- Forced endurance is measured on a treadmill, starting one day after body composition is assessed.
- There are three adaptation days followed by one maximal performance day. See detailed treadmill protocol
- Maximal forced endurance (distance traveled) is recorded when a mouse fails to run (either from the inability to continue treadmill running or the refusal to continue running despite extra stimulus from the shock grid or prodding).
- Body weight
- Body composition
- Fat weight
- Fat percentage
- Lean weight
- Lean percentage
- Forced endurance (distance traveled)