See JAX Pipeline on the IMPC website for order of tasks for all mice tested
Project protocol: Insulin blood level
The insulin concentration in the blood is an important indicator of diabetes. Note: Blood collection for Insulin Blood Level is performed as a non-fasting, terminal procedure.
Paradigm: Baseline study
Panel: Collaborative Cross
Number of strains: 18
Age: 17-19 wks
Sample size: Six mice per sex from at least two litters
Number of cohorts: 1
||Mice are anesthetized
|Blood is collected and plasma isolated
||Microtainer tubes, Eppendorf tubes, centrifuge
||Insulin levels are assessed
||Plasma insulin levels
Equipment, software and supplies
Reagents and solutions
- Mice are anesthetized with isofluorane.
- Blood is collected via retro-orbital puncture.
- Blood is collected in lithium heparin tubes and the samples are kept on ice for a maximum of 2 hours prior to isolation of the plasma.
- Blood samples are centrifuged at 5,000 x g for 10 minutes at 8ºC and the plasma removed and aliquoted for freezing (-70ºC).
- Plasma samples are subsequently defrosted and the required amount of sample is used to perform the analysis (2 replicates). Samples are diluted 1:2.
Data QC: Plasma samples must be free of Fibrin clots in order to be analyzed. Badly hemolyzed samples should not be included.
|LIMS field name
||MPD variable name
Experimental and technical parameters
||Meso Scale Discovery
||SECTOR Imager 2400