GMC01 project protocol
Locomotor activity and exploratory and anxiety-related behaviors assessed by the open field test in 8 inbred founder strains of the Collaborative Cross (2020)
German Mouse Clinic and Department of Infection Genetics, HZI
With: Hrabě de Angelis M, Fuchs H, Gailus-Durner V, Garrett L, Hölter-Koch S, Wurst W, Lengger C, Kollmus H, Schughart K
German Mouse Clinic: Phenotyping Pipeline
Open field test: 8-9 wks of age
|Mice transported to test room or antechamber to acclimate for 30 min
||Individual mice placed in arena for 20 min session; activity recorded
||Open field arena
||Locomotor activity, exploratory and anxiety-related parameters
- Open field arena: TSE Systems GmbH (ActiMot2), Bad Homburg GERMANY
- Peripheral zone: 8 cm from edge of arena walls
- Central zone: ~40% of total surface area of arena
- Software: TSE ActiMot version 08.00
Procedure: Open field test
- Mice are acclimated to the test room for 30 min.
- Lighting conditions are set to 150-200 lux; detection parameters for the video-tracking system are set for the detection of coat colors.
- Testing is conducted during the light phase of the cycle with 1-h gap from the light/dark change.
- Ideally, males are tested before females.
- Individual mice are placed in the middle of a peripheral zone of the arena facing the wall and allowed to explore freely (experimenter out of sight).
- Activity is recorded for 20 min, in 5-min bins.
- Mice are returned to their homecage, and the apparatus is wiped clean after each test.
- Locomotor activity
- Exploratory behaviors
- Anxiety-related behaviors